This morning, at 1pm (it’s still morning if you haven’t eaten yet), I was in the subway on the way to meet my girlfriend for lunch. Out of the blue, the phone rang with some random number I apparently didn’t have in my contacts. Usually, when these things happen, it’s either my accountant telling me I need to declare something, or someone from the phone company asking if I wanna change plans (I usually don’t), or my bank asking me for some documents… basically, it’s a pain in the ass. So I ignored it. Also, I was in the subway and reception sucks anyway.
They left a message, though. As I got out and waited for my girlfriend in the street, I checked it: turns out it was the company we’d booked an engagement ring with that was calling to setup a meeting for us to pick up the ring. Oh, yeah, we’re engaged, did I forget to mention that?
Anyway, my girlfriend showed up and I summed up the situation:
- So, basically, it’s wasn’t the phone company.
- It was something better.
- If you say so.
- What did you just say?
- That is was better?
- That’s not what you said.
- OK, it wasn’t. I was just making sure you were listening.
- Huh huh… So when are you picking up the ring, then?
- So I have to do it? That ring is for you!
- Well, you have more time than me…
- Also, you don’t need two people to pick up one ring…
- There’s been movies with dozens of people chasing just that…
- Yeah, well, I’m not a hobbit.
- That’s not what I said…
- You sort of implied it… So, when’s the day?
- I don’t know.
- What do you mean, you don’t know?
- I haven’t called back yet.
- What’s stopping you?
- Come again?!
- You showed up as I was about to call back.
- Oh, sorry…
- That’s OK. I choose you.