Today was the day I was gonna have my head shaved off. Well, not exactly shaved off, more like have my hair cut shorter. And there was nothing specific about today, other than the fact that I woke up early enough to hit the hair salon after lunchtime peak hour (not before, let’s not get carried away). And I hit it hard too: when I got there, a little after 2pm, it was empty. Except for a lone hairdresser standing at the counter and checking her phone.
- Oh, hello Sir!
- Hello Miss! Or Mrs? Which is it? Don’t answer…
- Huh… Right… Do you know how this place works? [Note: this salon has a bit of a special concept, you pay less in exchange of checking in your stuff and putting on the robe yourself. Worth every penny less]
- Yes, I’ve been here before, although you apparently don’t remember me…
- I’m sorry Sir, so many people come in here [She said, while looking at the empty room]. I mean, usually…
- That’s fine, I was just teasing… Let me put down my bag.
She cleaned my hair real quick: I’d told her that I’d just had my last shampoo an hour earlier. Than I went and sat down in front of a mirror for the hair cutting part.
- Aren’t you working today, Sir?
- I’m entrepreneur. Which means I can work anytime I want. And go to the salon anytime I want. How’s Friday looking?
- This Friday? Do you want your hair colored?
- Forget I asked… I have another question [I was on a roll]: isn’t this salon part of a franchise?
- It is.
- And are you the manager?
- I am.
- So you’re an entrepreneur then!
- I guess so… Why, which field are you in?
- Digital. Meaning there is no field per se. Whereas you have a field. And building on it. And people in it too. Usually…
- Actually, I also do non-digital marketing in case you’re ever in need of anything…
- Well, to tell you the truth, I’m thinking of not renewing my current franchise contract and going independent…
- Do you have a name?
- I mean, a new name for the salon… Once you’re done with the franchise…
- Oh… No… I’m not there yet… Do you have any ideas?
You shouldn’t put too much thought in a freebie.